Stop Changing the Join Now Page PleaseMay 16, 2008 10:36 am last names, policy, software development
Will Linden Lab® please stop fiddling with the Join Now pages? New feature: visitors to Join Now have about a 1 in 20 chance of seeing ~150 names instead of just 40. Well, that’s nice and all, but its not persistent. Reload the page, and you get a different list, usually with just 40 shuffled names in it as we’ve come to expect. This is yet another barrier to getting two accounts with the same last name (i.e., for extended-duration, family role-play).
Not to mention how terrible the code for this Join Now page must look on LL’s side… holy cow… how many exceptions are there to this thing?
- Users are routed at random to one of 24 servers, which each maintain different subset of last names to chose from, and shuffle periodically.
- There’s a random chance to be presented with a “community” and a skip this page button.
- When you finally get to the real Join Now page, the last names in the drop down appear in random sort order.
- There is a random chance that you will see ~150 names instead of 40, but if you send the same URL to your friend, the list of last names will definitely not be the same for him.
It seems like every new idea deserves a “random chance” style of exception to this “system”. Isn’t anyone reviewing these ideas before they are implemented? With all these exceptions added over time, how bad does this code look? I’m really curious to know.
While I’m on the topic, what about these JIRA entries?
- WEB-191 Registration process: Legit first names rejected because they include ‘ass’ letters. Resolution:Won’t Finish
- WEB-241 Second Life names get taken off of the available names list even if the user never finishes the second registration page.
- WEB-592 surnames for new accounts seem skewed to one cultural group.
In any case, I have adjusted my available name bot to retry the page when it encounters this new feature during its Join Now page poll. The functionality of SLNameWatch Get The Last Name You Want aka Join Now Page Catalog is fully restored.